(SYDNEY) 7 November 2022
Today, IMG released the findings of an independent study in partnership with Launchmetrics measuring the power of Afterpay Australian Fashion Week (AAFW). The report concluded that participating on the official schedule during AAFW increased a designer’s media coverage throughout the Asia-Pacific region and extended brand visibility across European, Middle Eastern, African, and American markets.
“As the cornerstone event for awareness, growth, and cultural recognition, Afterpay Australian Fashion Week gives both established and emerging designers the opportunity to forge new pathways in local and international markets. This comprehensive report demonstrates that there is no better platform than Australian Fashion Week for designers to build brand awareness, cementing AAFW in Sydney as the most influential fashion event in the Asia-Pacific region,” said Natalie Xenita, Vice President-Managing Director of IMG Fashion Events & Properties, Asia-Pacific.
To gauge Media Impact Value™ (MIV®), Launchmetrics used a proprietary algorithm to measure the impact of placements and mentions across different voices in the fashion, luxury, and beauty industries. Key findings of the report include:
- AAFW generates USD $9.8M in MIV® across 40 countries.
- By region, the United Kingdom, United States, and Italy produced the most coverage for AAFW beyond the Asia-Pacific region.
- Top performing brands earned greater overall MIV® and placements during the month of May (2022) compared to their average performance during any other month of the year.
- Designers that showed at other times of the year or not at all in 2021 all generated higher MIV® and placements when showing in 2022, demonstrating that the global spotlight on AAFW delivers heightened global media attention.
- During the month of AAFW, brands experience surging MIV® and media placements in comparison to any other month of the year on average.
- AAFW generates increased media placements and activity for brands at every level, with established designers generating three times more coverage and emerging designers generating twelve times more coverage during the month of AAFW in comparison to any other month of the year or when choosing to show off calendar within the same month.
- AAFW sees up to 58% more share of total MIV® from the Asia-Pacific region compared to New York Fashion Week, London Fashion Week and Copenhagen Fashion Week, solidifying AAFW’s position as the most prominent Fashion Week in the region.
Please find a link to the full report HERE.
AAFW is an IMG event supported by the NSW Government through its tourism and major events agency Destination NSW. In addition to Destination NSW and Afterpay, AAFW is made possible through the support of sponsors ALIVE, City of Sydney, DHL, Disaronno, ebay, Glenfiddich Whisky, Hendrick’s Gin, LG Laundry Appliances, Made by Fressko, Porsche, Redken, San Pellegrino, SKYE Suites and Wynn’s Coonawarra Estate.
AAFW will take place 15 – 19 May 2023 at Carriageworks. The digital destination of Fashion Week is AAFW.com.au, where fashion fans can stream AAFW’s runway shows and programming, live and on demand. Followers can also experience the best of AAFW by following @ausfashionweek across Instagram and Facebook, @AUSFW on TikTok and Twitter and through the official event hashtag #AAFW.