Aussy’s Runway Philosophy
IMG today announced the updated program, including additional individual collections and group show participants joining the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia (MBFWA) Resort 2019 Collections schedule. In addition, IMG released the preliminary list of international buyers and media visiting Sydney for the event.
ALICE MCCALL, KAREN WALKER, KARLA SPETIC, MARIAM SEDDIQ, THURLEY and STILL STILL STUDIO have been added to an impressive lineup of 90+ designers, comprised of the nation’s leading and emerging fashion design talent. The full calendar is now available here.
Participants in the five prestigious group shows have also been selected:
· SWIM: Taking place on Monday, 14 May, at the iconic North Sydney Olympic Pool, Swim will feature designers Camp Cove Swim, Duskii, Fella and Pam Pam. International Australian model and actress, Ellie Gonsalves, is set to open the show.
· ACTIVE: Taking place on Thursday, 17 May, Active will feature designers P.E Nation, B.O.D by Finch, Jasmine Alexa and Koral. P.E Nation is set to show their highly anticipated menswear range. Personality, model and designer, Rachael Finch, will walk the runway debuting her B.O.D By Finch collection.
· ST.GEORGE NEXTGEN: Taking place on Wednesday, 16 May, the onsite will feature designers Allisar.H, Chris Ran Lin, Gina Snodgrass and Of RO.
· RAFFLES INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE: Taking place on Wednesday, 16 May, the onsite will feature designers A.M., Carly Rose The Label, GTAB, Ingrid Husodo, Leah Williams, Valusta and VIVIANTUNG.
· FASHION DESIGN STUDIO: THE INNOVATORS: Taking place on Wednesday, May 16, the onsite will feature designers Matrai, Dana Lock The Label, Gillian Garde, ODD, Shroud, ZRD, Whitehart and Zella May.
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia is the first fashion week event to be focused exclusively on Resort collections, placing it at the beginning of the global sales window.
Australia as a Resort destination saw an unprecedented 51% increase in buyer attendance last year, including major international first-time outings from teams at Browns, Saks Fifth Avenue, Matches, Net-A-Porter, Selfridges, ShopBop and Farfetch who are again returning for the 2018 event.
Buyers, journalists and photographers from the world’s most influential retailers and publications will attend shows throughout the week, and building on the success of The Suites – IMG’s onsite designer showrooms – engage in one-on-one meetings with designers. Now in its second year, the sold-out Suites have doubled in size to accommodate demand, with 35 designers conducting meetings throughout the week.
Key representatives attending the 2018 event include:
Al Tayer, ASOS, Browns, Club 21, Farfetch, Harvey Nichols, Isetan, Lambert & Associates (on behalf of Neiman Marcus Group), Lane Crawford, Opening Ceremony, Matchesfashion, Net-A-Porter, Saks Fifth Avenue, Selfridges, ShopBop, The Outnet
INTERNATIONAL MEDIA & PHOTOGRAPHERS
Allure, Teen Vogue, Business of Fashion, CR Fashion Book, Fashionista, Glamour, Harper’s Bazaar US, Harper’s Bazaar CHINA, Interview Magazine, InStyle, LE21EME & W Magazine, Look UK, Oyster Magazine, New York Times, NZ Herald, Popsugar, Refinery 29, VIVA NZ, Vogue Runway, Vogue USA, Vogue UK, Vogue Italia, Vogue Turkey, W Magazine
MBFWA will once again feature a series of thought leadership seminars focused on the current fashion landscape. The Australian Fashion Council will host a seminar on the future of Resort on Thursday, 17 May. Then on Friday, 18 May, the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences, along with IMG, will curate a series of talks to explore various topics of discussion for industry professionals and fashion enthusiasts. Hosted by Glynis Traill-Nash and Damien Woolnough, Friday’s seminars will consist of the following:
· Session 1: Maker, Market and Media: Hear how different ecosystems within the fashion world come together to build the industry, featuring perspectives from the most prominent industry players visiting Sydney for MBFWA, along with local experts.
· Session 2: Akira Isogawa, 25 Years of Iconic Fashion, Powered by St.George Bank: In Conversation with Roger Leong, MAAS Senior Curator, Akira Isogawa will reflect on his 25 years of triumphs and challenges in the ever-evolving fashion landscape; hosted in celebration of the Akira Isogawa Exhibition at Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences.
· Session 3: The Democratisation of Fashion, Presented by THE ICONIC: Learn how consumers are driving change in the fashion industry – and why brands and retailers need to listen.
MBFWA, Australia’s premiere fashion industry event, will take place Sunday, 13 May, through Friday, 18 May, at Carriageworks, Sydney.
The updated MBFWA Official Schedule can be viewed at mbfashionweek.com/Australia